Precautions for Thermal Sensors
Although the characteristic of Thermal Sensors is highly appreciated, the way of their uses greatly
affects it and can impact errors in temperature measurement, to which you are requested to pay attention.
Particulars common to Thermal Sensors
- Excessive voltage such as ESD, could damage thermal sensors.
- Water drops from condensation or impure substances that adheres between the electrode wires may cause insulation deficiency and lower the resistance value of the thermal sensors. Be aware when using this product.
- Avoid applying thermal shocks with large temperature difference in order to maintain the accuracy of the thermistor.
- Some of the thermal sensors use special temperature sensing films. Contact us if the sensors are constantly operated under high temperature environment.
Platinum Thin-Film Thermal Sensors
- Welding is recommended to connect the heat resistant leads of element of SDT101B, SDT310P, SDT310MTM, SDT310AP, SDT310HCTP and SDT310VASP since they have heat resistant lead wires. Select the flux for stainless-steel when soldering. Wash the flux with hot water after the soldering to remove the residues completely.
- The 3-wire system or 4-wire system is recommended to measure high precision temperatures for both SDT101 and SDT310 series.
- When molded or placed in a metal tube cover filled with resin, the resistance value may change depending on the resins used.
- Sensor resistance values described are specified by resistance values of the elements (SDT101 series, SDT310 series) used in the sensors. The resistance of the external conductor is added to the resistance value of element, impacting errors in temperature measurement. For this reason, the shorter the conductor is, the smaller the errors will be. For example, when a ST series using element of SDT101 series a 100Ω a 2.9℃ detection error will result, assuming that the resistance of the external conductor is 1Ω. Select the 3-wire or the 4-wire system so that a measurement error by the resistance of the outer lead wire can be eliminated.
- The sensor element has a sufficient heat resistance characteristic.
Nevertheless, the operating temperature range will differ depending on the materials used in the external conductor and filler. Select an appropriate standard sensor in accordance with the operating temperature range and operating environment.
- The quality of ST series is assured by the element.